It's not all easy running, the idea is to run 80% of your runs super slow (like reallllllly slow - I figured out my pace based on this idea and it's well over a minute per mile slower than in used to running) and make the other 20% of your runs high intensity. He claims, and my training in the past has mimicked this, that most people run a high percentage of their runs at a moderate intensity, this sabotaging their training. There is a ton of research behind this, but you'll have to read the book yourself, because it's too sciencey for me to try to explain.
Fitzgerald suggests beginning with a "week of slow" to pull back and let your body adapt to what running slow should feel like. I figured the run streak was a perfect time for this - my hope is that, as Fitzgerald claims, it will help me avoid burnout. I used his fancy math to determine that I should be around a 143 heart rate for these slow runs, and after experimenting this week, I've discovered that it puts me right around a 9:30 pace.
It feels so slow and awkward, but I feel amazing after my run and going into the next. I'm excited to try this out for a while, especially to see where the high intensity runs take me.
While the slow running seems easier, I do feel like I'm running forever and that if I just sped up, I'd be done already. It takes discipline to continue at snail's pace, but I'm determined to at least give this a whirl. The research supports it, and it sure sounds nice! For now at least, I'll be keeping my runs slow with the exception of my weekly tempo run, which I will continue to do at the same intensity as before. Wish me luck!