Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The early bird gets the run

My alarm goes off at 5:30am.  By 6:00 I'm out the door.  7 miles later, at 7:00, I'm back home.  The kids are still asleep my husband is just getting up.  I fix my coffee and now it's time to start the day.

Do I love getting up at 5:30?  Not one bit.  Some nights I wish I could stay up a little later.  Jimmy Fallon is hilarious and I would like to watch...but I have to be up early.  

As a mom of four, husband of one, worker of a full time job as well as a part time job, and marathoner, these early mornings come with the territory. I definitely don't have the time to train for another marathon.  I make the time.  

It's all about finding the right balance.  I love my family.  I love my job.  I love running.  I'll not sacrifice one for another.  Running is my 'me' time.  It's where I can think uninterrupted...or tune out completely.  It's where I feel my best physically and mentally.  I'm sure you've heard all the cliches about how you have to take care of yourself before you can take care of your kids, but it's true.  I'm a much happier person after my morning run.  



It's a priority of mine to get my daily run in without it negatively impacting the family.  During the week, my runs rarely go longer than an hour.  I go early so that I'm not missing my family time.  I like coming back when everyone is still asleep and knowing that I've already accomplished something great for the day.  I love that they know I've already run - what a great example it sets for them - but that they don't feel like I'm taking up their time to run.  Weekends are a little different - it means the kids get breakfast time with daddy.  I think that's a good thing too. It's all about balance.  

I've already run my 7 miles (including speed work!) this morning.  I've already showered and now I have my coffee and a few minutes to myself before the kids get up and our busy day begins.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.

This morning I met Melanie at the track for a tough speed workout.  We did the pyramid - a 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, and 800 with 400m recovery laps in between.


No comments:

Post a Comment